Monday, December 14, 2009

Mid-State Auditions

For what seems like years (really? only a few months?), Ali has been preparing for mid-state auditions. They bring together the best band students from Mid-Tennesse area. I can't tell you exactly what area that is for I am clueless. The actual mid-state experience takes place in the beginning of January. They bus the kids to Chattanooga for a weekend and work with them. It culminates Sunday evening with a concert.

We got up at a leisurely pace and left the house by 9:00 am. We arrived at McGavin Comprehensive High School at 10:00 am. Ali signed in and was assigned flute #132. In my mind I am thinking, "Great, they have been at the audition process for a little over an hour, we should be nearing #50." While thinking this in my mind, I hear the processor say, "We are currently on flute 16." At this point in time I did the fastest math of my life when I erupted with, "They are only averaging 15.5 flute auditions an hour?!?!?" Followed by me pulling my phone out and accessing my calculator. At this rate she wouldn't be auditioning until 4:30 pm.
Ali wanted to walk around, look for friends and warm-up. Warm-up? I scoffed at her. What do you call warming-up when the event is 7.5 hours away? The warm-up room was for all band students. They even let the snare drums in there. I was contemplating my ability to do damage with their drum sticks. So, so loud.
By 11:30 am we decided to hit Opryland mall. I could barely enjoy the time there I was stressing about the auditions taking place. After we walked around, bought a few items and had a Cinnabon we headed back.
When we got back around 1:30 pm, I quickly realized we had gone from 19.5 flutist an hour to about 24. More walking, or more aptly described as pacing, chatting, warming-up, tears, pep talks, loudness. I heard, countless times, the "This is good experience. You did great. You will do better next year" pep talk. Why do we tell our children this? Is it helpful?

It was pretty funny to watch parents with their ear to the door; other competitors weighing out if they are better or worse than the current candidate playing. No matter who was currently listening at the door, when the parent of the current student playing came to the door, room was made for them to be the closest.

At 6:00 pm flute #132 was called into the prepared room. I seriously laughed out loud when they called FLUTE #132. We were the ONLY instruments left to play. Other instrument's results were already trickling in. Txts were flying.

The audition was broken down into two parts. The prepared part room and the scales and sight reading room. They would play their two prepared songs first, return to the hallway and then head into the second room when their number is called again. They were asked to play random scales. Ali has know all her scales since 7th grade. I now realize not all flutists have that knowledge. After the scales they are asked to sight read up to three pieces. After the first piece, they are either asked to leave the room or proceed to the next piece. As I listened at the door to the scales/sight reading room I silently counted her sight reading pieces. One. Two. Three. Hurray Ali!

Ali is an amazing musician. I could tell she was nervous as she played. But, Ali brought one student to tears and caused another to rant up and down the hallway that she blown her audition after hearing Ali play.

140 flutes auditioned for Mid-State 2009. Ali found out she was seated 5 chair even before we got home. What followed was hours of texts, phone calls, emails and facebook messages reliving the day, celebrating and making plans for the actual Mid-state weekend in January. I celebrated by throwing everything I had on in the washer, hot water. Who knows what I could have gotten at a high school in downtown Nashville? I also got a hot shower and foot rub from my fabulously amazing husband.

Matthew, Luke and Kat had their own adventures this day. But, that post will have to wait a while. I have a house to clean for my guests tomorrow!!

**Photo credits in this post belong to Ali with the exception of the fountain.