Thursday, October 28, 2010

This is Matt...

...but we call him Matthew.

Yesterday we took family pictures. If you look family pictures up in the dictionary, it will say, "a period of time in which you pay someone to torture you and your loved ones." Scouts honor :) Matt had a meeting that was scheduled to go a little long into the afternoon, so the kids and I met with the photographer and got started on their pictures before Matt arrived. Luke was a little crazy the whole photo shoot, but much crazier in the period of time before Matt got there. When I saw Matt walking down the long sidewalk toward us, I turned to Luke and said, "There is Matt!" Luke jumped down off the structure he was currently climbing and ran full speed ahead. When Luke got remotely close to Matt, he launched himself into Matt's arms. Luckily Matt has gotten used to this action and caught Luke in mid-air and threw him over his shoulder.

I counted my blessings as my two boys walked toward me. As Luke held Matt's hand, he introduced Matt to the photographer with, "This is Matt, but we call him Matthew."

I can't imagine our lives without Matthew. He has cared for and nurtured each of the children. They love and adore him. They tease him relentlessly. Nine times out of ten they will call or text him before they will call or text me. He talks to them. He listens to them. He offers his full, unconditional love to them. They have blossomed with his love and attention.

This is Matt. But we call him Matthew.