Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Dying Custom

Last week was picture day at Luke's school. This day comes twice a year. Twice, what is up with that? I remembered it was picture day this year, just like I do every year: when I take the kids to school and see it on the school's announcement board. Each year, when I remember it is picture day, I make sure hair is laying down after the bike helmets are removed and that shirts are presentable. Would I run home is there are a few wrinkles? Nope.

I never buy school pictures. Well, I have on very rare occasions. Honestly, I hate looking back at my school pictures. But, I guess one day, when I am dead, someone will enjoy them. We live in the day of digital pictures. We take hundreds of pictures of our kids monthly. We can edit, delete, enhance. Why pay someone for something we can do for pennies? And, honestly, we can do it better.

I worried for a while after I dropped Luke off for school on picture day this year. I worried if the teacher thought I was a bad parent for not buying pictures. I worried about how my son wasn't in a new outfit for school pictures. Will that cause someone to think I am a bad parent? Most of my daily thoughts revolve around worrying if I am a good parent.

I remember back when our school pictures rolled around. We got ready for weeks. I am pretty sure it was weeks. It might have been days. Mom wanted the outfit to be just right. Our hair had to be perfect. I remember when we got to the school stage to have our pictures taken, they would hand out little black plastic combs for us to fix our hair. I promise you, that does not happen today. They hardly care if the kids blink during their pictures. Maybe this is why there has been a sharp decrease in school picture sales. Maybe that or the fact they cost almost $50.

As it happened, I went to eat lunch with Luke on picture day this year. Let me tell you of my relief when 95% of the kids looked like they had just rolled out of bed and came to school for a normal day. There were a few kids with dresses on or with extra hair-sprayed hair.

All in all, I think school pictures are a think of the past. And I say good riddance!