Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Longest Day Ever

Yesterday just about killed me off.

For some reason, Matt and I both woke up at 4 am. And then proceeded to just lay there staring at the ceiling. Wondering why we couldn't sleep. But, sleep we did not.

5:30 my first alarm goes off. Matt is up and showering.

5:45 am alarm gets me up.

5:55 am saw Matt and Ali out the door to seminary and work.

6:38 am Kat and I were off to the bus stop. Yes, there was the usual "I am going to be late for school" drama. Seriously, that child is drama for the bus :) I am writing a book about it. Look for it.

7:00 am Luke gets up. We eat and play until it is time for school.

8:15 am we are on our bikes. Let me tell you. It is getting chilly in Nashville. Luke proclaimed, "Mom, it is colder out here than you think." He was right.

It was early out. Someone please explain why we even have school if it gets out at 11:00 am. Please, I am listening. Just let us stay home and sleep in. Please. Why am I not in charge?

In the 15 minutes the kids were not around I did some laundry, ran to Goodwill, baked bread and watched Ghost Whisperer. I feel silly going to Goodwill in a Volvo sports car.

When the kids got home it was time for lunch and studying. School may kill me off. I'll just tell you right now. I did actually did try to lay down after Kat kept yelling at me about not helping her study correctly. But, the neighbors are getting a new roof. So, yeah. It wasn't very quiet for a rest.

4:15 pm Matthew gets home. It was early out due to parent teacher conferences. Matt and I went to conferences at Luke's school and Ali's school. Ali is struggling this term. I like to look at things in the time frame of a "term." A term can be lived out successfully without too much enduring. The two hours Matt and I spent in conferences left both of us wiped out. Or it might have been that we had been awake since 4 am.

6:30 pm get home to get dinner on the table. I left it all ready and with instructions for the kids to plug in the griddle. We had Monte Cristo sandwiches. Parents, be clear with your children. When you tell them to plug something in, you also need to tell them to leave it plugged in. My children plugged it in, left in on for a few minutes and unplugged it as I did not tell them to leave it plugged in.

7:30 pm game plan time with Ali. Ali is very smart. She is having a hard time adjusting to high school. But, her teachers love her and we are all going to make this work. She accomplished so much before school today. Remember, keep your eye on the "term."

8:00 pm brings games with Luke and looking through the Church of Christ hymnal I bought at Goodwill. It is dang cool. I have to give my sister some credit. She told me Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam was not originally an LDS song. I didn't believe her. But, do you blame me? Who could sing that song better than a group of Sunbeams?

8:30 pm Matt gets a call. A friend and co-worker was hit by a car while on his bike. We go to take his wife to the hospital downtown Nashville. We were actually sent to tell her the news, but someone else told her before we go there. For that, I was happy. After calling a neighbor (thanx Jill!) to go stay with the kids, we headed downtown.

His friend is also LDS. It was kind of funny. We were explaining to the social worker why we wanted to give him a blessing. She asked if we all went to church together. We told her no. Then she asked if we went to church with the other LDS man upstairs (Matt's cousin and boss). Again, no. She was pretty baffled. We explained we are all Mormons, we just have different congregations. I think she was surprised there are enough Mormons around to have multiple congregations for the 5 Mormons she had just met :)

When we left the hospital at 11:15 pm, we knew very little other than he was alive and had multiple lacerations and broken bones. They had to sew a vast majority of his scalp back on.

Midnight, a mere 20 hours since we had woken up, saw Matt and I back in our bed. We just laid there holding each other. Life is hard. Life is rewarding. Life is unexpected. Life is meant to be held onto and enjoyed. You honestly never know what is around the next corner.