Friday, February 6, 2009

Mediocrity, Please

I have made a discovery. It has only taken my neigh on 36 years. If we expect little in the way of customer service, we will not be disappointed.

We have a Pizza Hut just down the road from us. On special occasions, Papa orders from there. When I say "special occasions," I mean when he wants to get very annoyed with someone. Honestly, they have had to give us hundreds of dollars in free pizzas. (Yeah, I know, why do we keep going back?!?)

Consistently, without fail, or interruption, they mess up our order. They have been doing this for years. They either get the order wrong, loose the order or plain don't have the pizza ready.

In December, my dad and brother went to pick up our order. Surprise, surprise, they had lost our order entirely. No record, what-so-over. My dad actually complained (kindly and friendly-like; you know Rodger) and got a voucher for free pizzas next time.

A couple of days ago, we decided to redeem our free pizzas. I was looking on the voucher and the reason for issuing a credit to us was "pizza late, too late." So, I guess they have some guidelines they follow. Pizza must be able to be late, just not TOO late.

I went to pick up said pizzas. After giving her the name the order was under, she asked, "Might it be under a different name?" Seriously, I almost punched her and took any pizza I wanted.

Luckily, she actually did just have it under a different name. So for once, the pizza was hot, ready and yummy. I guess once every 5 years we are going to luck out with Pizza Hut.

But, I am sticking with my new motto for customer service, "Medicrity, please." Honestly, do we deserve better?