Monday, February 23, 2009

Looking to Eternity

This weekend has been a difficult weekend. We found out my grandma, Hazel Darle Morgan Sorensen, is dying.

I have a great fondness for my grandma. I have a great fondness for anyone who loves me like my grandma does. You can ask around, I am her favorite grand-daughter. There are only about a hundred of us, but I am her favorite.

Yesterday, as I helped her around her hospital room and held her hand, she placed her head on my shoulder. As she held my hand, I wasn't sure who was holding on for dear life, her or me. For years, I have felt like I was barely keeping my life together. Now, I am getting my feet firmly on the ground as she is slowing letting go of her mortal footing.

My Grandma and Grandpa Sorensen have always been a strong presence in our lives. I always loved going to grandma's house. She kept colored marshmallows down low so I could reach them without asking. I tell you what, that was the best thing ever.

As I grew up, they were there for everything: birthdays, baptisms, plays (and more plays), recitals, athletic events, graduations, etc. They lived 300 miles away from us when I was a child. So, for them to be so involved really said something of their love for us. Actually, I think they only came so often because Rexburg was the only place grandma would let grandpa have Trix cereal.

We didn't know it, but grandma has had cancer for three to five years. The doctor said she is quite a woman to be able to continue functioning without having any symptoms of it. The past few months have been increasingly difficult for her. Since moving back to Provo, I have tried to spend more time with her. I will always treasure those moments I was able to spend with her, alone. She never passed any judgments on my life or choices I have made. She always made me feel loved. I loved her.

I will lock those moments I recently spent with her in my heart forever. We would talk about our lives together, our memories, our family and when she was in too much pain to talk any more, I would read the scriptures to her.

My grandma loved the gospel with all her heart. You never had to wonder where she stood on the principles of the gospel. She loved the Lord. She served a mission, she served in her ward, she served in the temple, she served her family. She served those whom she loved and she loved the Lord and her family. We all always felt loved by grandma.

My children love the birthday cards from grandma. And they knew they would ALWAYS come. I think they even borrowed money from each other with that birthday card money as collateral.

Grandma we love you. I love you. I love you with every fiber of my being and am so honored to be your grand-daughter. I am honored to share your name. I am grateful for the power of the priesthood and the blessings of the temple that seal we two together. I will live my life so we can be together forever.

Thank you for holding my hand.