Monday, March 16, 2009

Bucket List

Ok, over the weekend a friend asked me if I had a "bucket list." That question made me realize a couple of things. The first was, "Me? What do I want?" I haven't really thought about what I want, outside of my children's happiness, in 13 years, 7 months and 13 days. I did the math for you from when my oldest was born :) The other thing I realized was that I didn't really even know what kinds of things are on a bucket list.

So, yesterday at Sunday dinner I decided to try to figure out what a bucket list is and what one would put on such a list. I started with, "Has anyone see the movie Bucket List?"

Here are the responses.

Mom, "Yeah, I saw that movie. But, I don't think anyone else at this table would like it."

Josh, "That movie looks so stupid. Bunch of old guys."

Dana, "Josh, we did see that movie, well part of it. We didn't like it."

Dad, "Lisp? Why is the bucket lisping?"

Me, "List, dad, not lisp."

Dad, "I don't see why there is a movie about a lisping bucket." (People, my dad isn't even old, yet he sounded 80 in this conversation."

Me, "List, Dad, list. L-I-S-T."

Dad, "Oh, what is on the list."

Seriously. They were of no help. My mom told me it is just a list of things I want to see and do before I die. So, am I dying? Do I need the list in place soon?

OK, here it goes: These are in no particular order.

1. Raise healthy, well adjusted children. I will know this is completed when I can take them out to dinner without them fighting with each other.
2. Go to the temple with each child.
3. Each child is accepted to college and they are excited to go.
4. Go to the Panama temple.
5. Learn to cook and bake at a much higher level the ground beef and macaroni :) That will take...
6. Find more time and money to accomplish # 5.
7. Get a master's degree.
8. Figure out what I want a master's degree in.
9. Write a children's book.
10. Go to the Eiffel Tower. I have a friend that got engaged at the Eiffel Tower. How cool is that?
11. Go to Disneyland every year. Well, maybe twice. Once with kids, once without. I might grow out of my love of Disneyland, but probably not. I have yet to go without kids, but am thinking that would be pretty fun.
12. Get really nice camera equipment.
13. Learn to develop my own pictures.
14. Learn to frame my own pictures.
15. Get a house to hang my pictures up in :)
16. Live somewhere I could mow the lawn whenever I want. Just kidding. But, I do enjoy helping with the yard work.
17. Own 5000 books, or somewhere around there.
18. Visit London and the birthplace of Shakespeare.
19. Real fish 'n chips in London.
20. Find someone to all this with!

Well, that should keep me busy for a while. I guess it is kind of fun to think about what I would like to accomplish with the rest of my life.