Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Business of Living

Tonight we gathered together, one last time, with Grandma Sorensen. Hospice is sure she only has hours left. We gathered, a very few of her off-spring, to tell her how much we love her and that it is ok to take the next step and move on.

I do need to add right here that Grandma might love my cousin Leslie more than me :) She gave Leslie a huge smile when she had been unresponsive for the past 24 hours.

Grandma has been talking to those gone before us the past few days. I won't deny that death scares me a bit, but it also seems religious. I guess that might have to do with the fact that we have eternal beliefs based on our religion. Each time I witnessed her communicating with someone from the other side, I felt as though I was eavesdropping.

I had to leave her, for the last time, to get the kids from their dad. But, then it turned out he was very late in returning them. I miss those last few minutes I could have shared with her.

As I watched my relatives all kiss her good-bye, and took a turn for myself, it seemed almost like it was more difficult for those of us with days, weeks and years left to live. We know she has lead a wonderful life; full of love and family. We will try to carry on without her, but a very huge part of all our lives is gone. She linked together six siblings (one gone on), thirty-six grandchildren, ninety-six great-grand children and four great-great-grandchildren. I am not sure how we will all continue with this business of living without her love, encouragement and support.

OK, one quick funny story. Tonight one of my cousins asked me if cats can fly. I replied, "Sure they can if grandma is propelling them off the counter." Grandma had one major flaw. She hated cats!!!

We love you grandma. We will miss you. We will try to keep our lives together without you here to help us. Tell grandpa hi for us!