Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sixth Grade Fieldtrip aka: I signed up for this???



Yesterday I ventured to the Adventure Science Center in Downtown Nashville. I got there via a big, yellow, school bus. Throw in 100 sixth graders and you will begin to get the picture of my day.

So far, thank the stars above, my kids still like having me around. Which is why I was able to attend this trip. It is very funny. The more my kid's friends like me, the more my kids seem to like me. Yesterday I got multiple sixth graders to like me, so my popularity in my family was boosted :)

In my group I had four, excellently behaved, 12-year-olds. Two girls and two boys. Kat was in my group.
Parts of the the Center were fabulous for our sixth grade friends. But a lot of it was just too young for them. Part of the day was a "severe weather" lecture. There were some experiments, but a lot of talking. I am pretty sure most of those kids learned that stuff two years ago. After it was over, I heard one girl say that they owed her one hour of her life back. I told here if we were making those kinds of requests I would like two hours back AND $50. Why not dream big???

The planetarium part was amazing, but made me very ill with all the movement. The planetarium show was The Stars of Pharaoh. It was truly amazing and I wish it hadn't made me sick. The small, male person to the right of me talked to me during the whole presentation. (Later Kat informed me he had a crush on me. How sweet.) About half way through, I put my feet on the seat in front of me and closed my eyes. Soon, from the right, I heard, "They told us not to put our feet on the seats." Fine. Point for small person. I put my feet down, but kept my eyes closed. Soon, I heard, "They told us not to sleep." "Dude," was my response, "They said no snoring. Let me know if I start snoring."
No field trip would be complete without a little pain. I hit my head going down a slide the kids said I just "had to do." They were right. It was fun. I didn't even feel "old" all day.

All in all, minus the motion sickness and bruise on my forehead, it was a great way to spend a dreary Wednesday in Nashville.