Thursday, November 19, 2009

Young Women in Exellence 2009

Last night (yes, after the field trip) was our Young Women in Excellence at church. It is an evening we spend with the twelve to eighteen year-old girls in the ward. We find out some of the goals they have accomplished and projects they have completed over the past year.

Last night it was set up like a game show. Very original. It was a lot of fun.

Ali was part of a "Name That Dance" game. They kept starting and stopping so I didn't get very good footage of her. Actually, I was so tried, I didn't get many good pictures at all. Ali is a fabulous little dancer. (She is on the far right in the video below) I would have killed for her ability to move her hips when I was doing Latin ballroom dancing. She helped plan a barn dance that she didn't even end up getting to go to due to band. Ali also sewed a pillow case and purse for projects.

Kat was part of a "Newly Added" game fashioned after the Newly Wed Game. The contestants were the four new Beehive girls. They asked the four new girls to come up and bring a parent. Kat went up with some of her friends and then I followed up after her. I got up there by her and she loudly whispered, "I want Matthew." So, I went back to my seat and sent Matthew up.
People are always surprised how much the children genuinely love Matthew. And they do. He loves them and they love him. They were quite darling together. I wish I had caught some of their interactions. They share the same quirky sense of humor. Kat's project was sewing. She sewed a skirt, pillowcase and PJ pants. She gave the pants to Luke cause we got them too small.

Moment of true confessions: Matt got more of the questions right than I would have!!! They were actually the winning team. But, who kept score??

Kat has really caught the Personal Progress bug and she might kill me off doing it all! She informed me she wants her medallion by the time she is finished with Beehives. I told her no way no how. "In my day" we couldn't earn it until we graduated from high school. Who changed that rule??? So, we are now planning to finish it by the time she is sixteen. We can live with that number!!

Both the girls have worked very hard and we are so proud of them. This church asks a lot of its members and these two girls are stepping up and doing what is expected.

We love you!!!

P.S. This note is for my germ-a-phobic mother and husband. Kat and I had the same clothes on for the field trip and the YW in Excellence. BUT, I washed everything in between :)